Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Expat Blues

The last two days, I've had a twinge of the Expat Blues.

I find myself not reminiscing, but just considering the fact that we once had a yard. With grass. And a deck with a grill and patio furniture. My son used to play soccer on the lawn. Now he kicks the ball against the playroom wall.

This morning I arose uncharacteristically thinking how great it was that we used to live next to a really nice outlet mall with a Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory.

I think I've got the Expat Blues, not because I miss Chicago, but because I've been working so much. The last few weeks have been incredibly busy. We've had two very big presentations, and I've worked through a couple of Saturdays. The first was for a pitch, which we won - details to follow - and the second concluded yesterday (and was very successful).

Forgoing a couple Saturdays means that our family hasn't taken their typical weekend trip into the Swiss, French or Italian countryside. And that's when living in an apartment with no yard, deck or grill and no Banana Republic or Puma store in site really doesn't seem like a big deal at all.

The kids have next week off school. I'm taking Monday and Tuesday off, and I've booked a room at a hotel on the lake near Interlaken.

I've resisted making this blog a travelouge in favor of focusing on work, advertising and the random observations of an American in Geneva. But after the last few weeks, it's easy to see that travel and exploration isn't just a luxury. It's a crucial part of why we came to Switzerland in the first place.

1 comment:

Diane Kappa said...

Hi Greg,
I feel your pain. Hang in there. Steve (my husband) and I ate at Pizza Hut last week. We NEVER ate at Pizza Hut in the states. Why did it sound good now? Just for the record-it wasn't that good, however it did taste just like back home.
Enjoy your time off with your family and remind yourself of all the good things about moving abroad.
Take care!
-diane