Thursday, September 25, 2008

Cool Bands

We have a shared speaker system in my area of the office. Three of us take turns playing off our iTunes, although as the new guy, they've yielded more time to me than I deserve. I've been using the new Apple Genius playlist quite a bit. So far, the most appreciated are the classic rock and Motown mixes.

People haven't shown much interest in the bands I consider a little newer and a little hipper. The Apples in Stereo, Beck, the Decemberists, and Bon Iver have all been met with indifference. I haven't even tried playing Explosions in the Sky.

The two exceptions are M. Ward and Iron & Wine. My coworkers love these guys. As well they should.

(If you've never heard M. Ward, check out the video for his song "Chinese Translation.)

2 comments:

Peter Kliefoth said...

Greg,

If you like those band you may like Sam Roberts, not sure if you've heard of them but here are a couple links...

http://hypem.com/track/350574/Sam+Roberts+Band-Bridge+To+Nowhere

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KOnSP7q8z4

Greg Christensen said...

Thanks for the recommend, Peter. I'm liking Sam already. Cheers!