Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The Lunch Break Challenge

The Y&R offices are about three blocks from Lake Geneva. So at lunch, I take my sandwich and a bottle of water down to the shoreline to eat. Here are a few pictures of my lunch breaks...

(I ate a pepperoni sandwich here.)

(Chicken gyro from a place called Istanbul Kebab.)

(Salmon sandwich and carrots.)

I have to wonder what I would have discovered if I would have spent my lunchbreaks in Chicago like this. At Y&R Chicago, I'd take the elevator down to the foodcourt and either return to my office, or eat in the open space of the creative area. Working in a habitrail complex was great during the Chicago winters. But I never spent a summer day eating at Millennium Park. I never took an extra half hour to walk down to Navy Pier or Grant Park. I never ate between the lions on the steps of the Art Institute.

I don't expect to get many responses to this request, but here it is:

Before summer is over, take a lunch break somewhere unusual/cool/inspiring, send me a picture of your cool lunch spot and I'll post in on this blog. This is open to anyone, not just salaried employees of the Greater Chicagoland area. Send pics to greg.christensen@yr.com. I'll post them at the end of September.

8 comments:

restlessrisa said...

I took your challenge... I visited. Entertaining! I will go somewhere fun for my lunch break this week, and let you know...

blythe0330 said...

The cafeteria at LDS Hospital has nothing on that. I would rather eat there than where I eat. It almost inspires you to eat healthy! It looks like an amazing place to live. So much to do and see.

Anonymous said...

Brilliant.
You're on.

Unknown said...

Great stuff! A caption like "I ate a pepperoni sandwich here" is the necessary element to put this thing over the top!
As soon as we get a working camera, I'm in.

Anonymous said...

I'm all over it. I'm in San Fran on business today. I'll see what I can do.

amelia said...

Seeing that Im on the 10th floor or a windowless building (tis true) I make myself get out of the office to at experience rainshine. I'll take some pictures of a few of my favorite spots, panhandlers and street musicians.

the medeiros family said...

Alright, you're just trying to make us jealous, huh?
I actually took your challenge today and will post it on my blog. Although it was a totally "mom" take on the challenge, thank you for challenging me to do something different!

Bukes said...

I see this spinning off into a coffee table book...

great lunch view of Puget sound to come...