Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Geneva's International Auto Show 2010

Ahh, the International Motor Show in Geneva. One of the premiere car shows in the world with such mismatched communication. While I think this year's poster is a little less bizarre than last year's, it's still a little odd.
I'm guessing the image is supposed to evoke images of light trails on the highway? It looks more like DNA art to me.
Looking at the floor plan, a couple things stood out to me. First of all, European motor shows are very different than ones in the United States. In the U.S., it's not surprising that companies like VW and Toyota get some of the largest areas on the floor. But for Peugeot and Renault to have equally dominating floor space? That's about as Euro as a Mentos commercial.
The other thing that I noticed is that Chevrolet and Corvette have two different areas on the floor.
While I can understand why Chevrolet would do this from a branding perspective, it's still a little sad to me. It's like the teenage kid who's so embarrassed to be seen with his mom at the mall, he feels he has to walk three feet behind her and roll his eyes and shake his head dramatically to convey to everyone else that he doesn't really want to be associated with this woman dragging him through Mervyn's.
(Sorry. Did I just get too autobiographical?)

No comments: