- Had the house on the market a year ago before moving. The competition was two foreclosures in the neighborhood. Very slow going.
- Found an ideal renter. Decided to rent instead. Renter signed a two-year lease.
- Fast-forward 11 months to a couple weeks ago. The renter decides she can't afford stay anymore and is moving to her sister's place in Colorado.
- We decide to put the house back on the market. My wife books a flight to Chicago to clean up the house and get ready to sell.
- Fast-forward to last week. The renter contacts us again. Her ex-husband says he gets custody of the kids if she leaves the area. She's desperate to stay. We negotiate a new (slightly lower) lease. We have our renter again.
- My wife can't cancel or change her flight because she booked through Orbitz.
- Fast-forward to this morning. Dropped my wife off at the airport for a week of playing with friends in Chicago, shopping at Target, and eating the best sandwiches the world has ever known. Probably getting Krispy Kremes, too.
- I take Wednesday - Friday off to stay home with the kids. I really want to take them on a picnic today, but the weather forecast calls for playing Mario Kart Wii most of the afternoon.
Wednesday, June 10, 2009
Home with the kids
Nutshell story of owning a home overseas: