Friday, February 26, 2010

Branding in Brussels

I recently passed through the airport in Brussels, Belgium. Although I didn't get to visit the city, I did take note of a few Brussels-related branding opportunities in the terminal. For example...

The M&M's candy dispenser incoproates the city's Atomium landmark. Nice job. Makes me want some gigantic M&M's.

The Coca-Cola vending machine also makes use of a Brussels icon: the Manneken Pis.


Coke is fantastic with design (check out the Fast Company article with David Butler). But seriously. Does the stream have to be going onto the bottle? And does it have to be changing from white to yellow as it does? I'm all for tongue-in-cheek. But seeing this does not make me want to taste the Coke side of Belgium. (I'd love to see the numbers of this machine compared to a regular Coke machine. Come on, Malcolm Gladwell. This one's begging for you!)

And here's the final branding exercise in Brussels. I'm assuming this installation was put in a few months ago.


You'll note I photographed this from the side, just in case it began to accelerate on its own.

No comments: