Saturday, April 17, 2010

Swiss precision timing doesn't apply to leaving your job

If you ever want to quit a job in Switzerland, here's a tip: The sooner the better.

Many foreigners are asked to sign contracts stating they will give two months notice. Since it took us more than twice that to move from Chicago to Geneva, I figured it wouldn't be a big deal.

But when I finally gave my resignation, I was told that according to Swiss law, your resignation becomes official the month after it's given.

So even though I gave my resignation on March 1st, my two months notice wouldn't legally begin until April 1st.

Had I known, I would have called my CEO at home Friday 10:30 pm when I received my offer.

We're still leaving on May 1st. I've worked it out with my company so the that's not going to be a problem.

But the whole resign-by-the-end-of-the-month thing would have been nice to know.

No comments: