Sunday, December 20, 2009

The 13th Month

In Switzerland, base salaries are paid in 13-month increments.

What this means is that my December paycheck is twice the amount of my usual monthly income.

Most people use this money to pay their taxes in the coming months. But since I've been in the country less than three years, I'm already taxed at source (i.e., taxes are taken out of each paycheck, just like it always was in the U.S.).

So this is my second December with a doubled paycheck. Merry Christmas.

3 comments:

amelia said...

May that live forever.

Annie S. said...

I like that system! We got an extra 1/2 check in may as well. I'm assuming it was to ensure a great summer vacation...

Chantal said...

I love this about Switzerland. It's even better when you forget you're going to get it and then see your huge paycheck.